We broadcast a Twitter Series every week on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s, we invite you to follow us @dinamicdesigns. Every series has a different topic. This week the topic was on the power and influence a good mentor can have over your life and career. This post wraps that topic up.
Bob Proctor, author, speaker and success coach said, “A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.”
That’s the fun of working with a mentor, it’s a two-way street. They open our eyes to so many things, teach us lessons we may never learn any other way. They expose us to new ideas through conversations, help us to understand ourselves better, and jumpstart goals and dreams we might have let go.
An effective mentor lives with high levels of integrity and will have a clear set of values in everything they do. This among their other positive traits work hand-in-hand to make them an excellent role model.
Other traits like being an active listener, being proactive not reactive, follow through on commitments or promises, respect, gratitude and self-confidence speaks volumes when it comes to building trust between a mentor and a student.
I read a lot of John Maxwell. In his book, Leadership Gold: Lessons I’ve Learned from a Lifetime of Leading, he wrote, “One of the greatest values of mentors is the ability to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.”
Another dynamic thing about mentors are they are naturally skilled at inspiring and motivating individuals. Here are three possible ways they accomplish this:
- Because they have higher standards, they push us to accomplish more. To grow beyond our comfort zone. To never settle for mediocrity by providing a strong sense of purpose.
- They’ve fallen and gotten up hundreds, if not thousands, of times. A brilliant mentor understands both defeat and success. They are not going to let us get discouraged in the face of challenges or failure. They have overcome both and they’re going to make sure we get back up and succeed!
- A valuable mentor can develop a clear picture of the future, and they have the ability to communicate it passionately while motivating you to achieve it.
Plus a good mentor can show us how to build a learning environment that encourages the sharing of knowledge, experience, and insight. How?
- Like developing a team, how to hand pick members based on skills rather than ability to perform routine tasks. They understand that creativity is a priority and has massive value within the team.
- They place such a high value on creativity and actively encourage those they mentor to generate a steady stream of fresh new ideas.
- They are advocates for perpetual and never ending improvement.
- A true and dedicated mentor openly passes on their knowledge and experience to those in need helping them to become the next generation of great leaders.
Oprah said in an interview, “For everyone of us that succeeds, it’s because there’s somebody there to show you the way out.”
Find a mentor that can show you the way out, lift you up, has the knowledge, skills and success you desire in life and build a relationship with them.
It’s your turn. What do you think? What outcome do you expect from the mentoring experience? What do you expect from your mentor? Does your mentor get the best out of you?